Office 365 outpaces G Suite 2-to-1 while Slack tried in two thirds of organisations
France and the Netherlands lead adoption of cloud productivity apps
Germany and Netherlands most security conscious
London – December 13, 2016 - Bitglass, the total data protection company, today announced the results of its EMEA Cloud Report, which examines the cloud applications used in over 8,000 EMEA-based companies. Using internally developed technologies, the Bitglass research team used company domains to identify the cloud apps deployed in each organisation and whether security technologies, like single sign-on (SSO), are in use.
Bitglass found that 66 percent of organisations in EMEA have deployed Microsoft’s Office 365 or Google’s G Suite (formerly Google Apps for Work), up from 59 percent in 2015 and higher than in any other region. In Europe, France and the Netherlands have the highest rates of cloud adoption at 82 percent and 78 percent respectively, while the UK and Germany have fallen behind.
“European companies were among the first to recognize the benefits of the public cloud but have long struggled to protect data as it moves beyond the network perimeter,” said Eduard Meelhuysen, EMEA VP Sales at Bitglass. “In recent years, cloud security solutions have evolved to meet the security, privacy, and compliance needs of companies in the region, driving massive growth in adoption.”
The report also identifies companies in Germany and the Netherlands as the most security conscious in Europe. In the Netherlands, 52 percent of organisations with Office 365 have an SSO solution deployed, second only to Germany at 55 percent. In the US, Office 365 SSO adoption is a fair bit lower, at just over twenty three percent and G Suite SSO is at just over five percent, so about half of EMEA SSO usage, indicating EMEA is far more security conscious when it comes to the cloud.
- Employees in Europe have taken to Slack much faster than in other regions, tried by two in three organisations compared to just one in three in the US.
- Office 365 adoption far outpaces G Suite in Europe, used in 43 percent of enterprises to G Suite’s 22 percent.
- Office 365 holds a strong lead across all European countries, chosen 2:1 over Google’s G Suite in the UK, Germany, and the Netherlands.
- Single sign-on (SSO) solutions have become widespread, used in nearly half (49 percent) of companies with Office 365 deployed and 10 percent of those with G Suite deployed.
- European tech and media companies have the highest rates of cloud adoption at 83 percent and 87 percent respectively.
- Regulated industries like healthcare (53 percent) and financial services (44 percent) have seen significant gains in cloud deployments, with government (17 percent) trailing considerably.
View the complete Bitglass EMEA Cloud Report
Bitglass’ Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) solution provides enterprises with end-to-end data protection from the cloud to the device. It deploys in minutes and works with any cloud app on any device. Bitglass protects data on mobile devices without the hassles of MDM and enables enterprises to enforce corporate data security policies across apps like Office 365, Salesforce, and Exchange. Bitglass, based in Silicon Valley with European headquarters in Amsterdam, was founded in 2013 by a team of industry veterans with a proven track record of innovation and execution.